Saturday, November 3, 2012

Spaghetti Sauce

I really do love spaghetti.  So do Elmer & Wiley.  They get excited whenever they see this on their plates!
You have to admit, this looks pretty good!  I'm sorry, I don't have a cast of characters this time around, but I really wanted to post this recipe.  Here's my secret: I add zucchini and carrots!  I got the idea for adding carrots from my mom, whose body is not a big fan of acidic foods.  She adds carrots to her spaghetti sauce to cut the acid. 
I got the idea for adding the zucchini when my zucchini plant started going nuts (as zucchini plants are wont to do!)

I do cheat a little bit- I use McCormick seasoning packets, although I have made my own sauce when no seasoning packets are to be found.  But things are busy and seasoning packets are easier.  But here is my recipe for spaghetti sauce.  I like to do a double batch so I can freeze some- I like to keep it on hand for making lasagna.  It makes life simpler.

Spaghetti
1 lb ground turkey (I prefer the 90/10)

1 pkt thick and zesty spaghetti seasoning
1 pkt mushroom spaghetti seasoning
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans tomato sauce
3 medium sized carrots
1/2 large zucchini, or 1 cup chopped frozen zucchini

In a large pan, brown the turkey.  Remove your pan from the heat and drain the grease.  (I like to dump the meat on a plate with paper towels.)  In your food processor or blender, chop your carrots and zucchini.  Return your pan to the heat, and add all ingredients to the pan.  Bring to a boil, and then allow to simmer for 20 minutes, until all vegetables are cooked through. 

Now since you've made a double batch (and stretched it even farther with the carrots and the zucchini)  You can put half the sauce in a gallon sized Ziploc baggie, label it (including the date) and use it the next time you need a meal in a flash.  Also, you may prefer to have more meat in your spaghetti and wish to use 2 lbs of ground meat.  We just do a little less around these parts.

I like to put romano or parmesan cheese on top of my spaghetti.  We served this over whole grain spaghetti noodles, which Mr. Wonderful and I both thought were a bit too thin.  We had garlic bread on the side, mainly because I thought it sounded good. 

I love how simple this is, and I love that there are multicolored veggies in there.  We've been told to serve up a rainbow, and this dish does it with green, orange and red.  But if your kids are finicky, the red hides the orange and green pretty well!  This meal is a powerhouse with protein, lycopene, and vitamins A, B, and C.  Enjoy!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Validate Me